Oral Examination: Disputation
You can find information on digital oral examination acceptance, if applicable, on “Documents and Service” under “Documents and forms relating to digital oral examination acceptance”.
- The oral examination in the form of a disputation covers the subject of the dissertation as well as related areas.
- It serves to prove that the applicant is capable of scientific discussion, has mastered the field of his/her dissertation, is familiar with other areas of the doctoral subject touched upon by it, and can establish connections to neighboring disciplines.
- The duration of the disputation is at least 45 and at most 90 minutes. The disputation is opened with a lecture of 15 to 30 minutes in which the candidate presents the most important results of his/her dissertation. This is followed by a scientific discussion (disputation), which proceeds from the lecture and should include interdisciplinary aspects.
- The oral examination in the form of a disputation takes place before a disputation committee consisting of three examiners.
- The oral examination is to be held in German, unless the examiners involved allow it to be held in full or in part in English.
- The results are recorded in a protocol and communicated to the doctoral office after completion of the examination together with the grade awarded.
- After the grades have been confirmed by the doctoral committee, you will receive a provisional certificate from us stating that you have passed the doctoral examination with all the grades achieved.